Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Conquerors of Countries, Damsels in Distress, and Goober Peas.

As you guys can see I have three topics today. I can have some fun with this! Conquerors of Countries? "What's that about?" you ask. Simply this Dad and the boys pulled out our Risk game. Risk is actually pretty interesting. My brothers, and perhaps I should say, the majority of guys I know have minds that delight in Strategy. Don't ask me why. (I don't really know.) Perhaps it dates back to the times when they had to fight for their countries as knights and crusaders and generals. Who knows. All I know is that alot of guys like strategy. Although I have to admit that some prefer using brute force. Well anyway I don't like strategy I'm no good at it. Maybe that's why I always lose at Risk. Except once. One time I actually won and beat 3 guys to boot! That must have been a freak accident. You have all heard of Damsels in Distress and Knights in Shining Armor well Bethany has met her knight. She was in the kitchen getting some milk out for breakfst when the rest of us heard a loud, piercing, terrified, scream. Needless to say she was the damsel in distress. Enter, Knight. Micah bravely rushed to her rescue. When he got to the kitchen he saw a humongous spider heading directly towards Beth. He quickly grabbed a fly swatter, chased the spider down, and smacked it until it died. When the spider was dead they took a closer look at it. It was a poisonous Black Widow. We were all a little shook up. It's not fun to have a Black Widow in your house. Now for the goober peas. I trust all of you know what goober peas are. But just in case their are Yankee lurkers around I will explain. Goober peas are peanuts. Our neighbor brought us some fresh peanuts still in their shells. We enjoyed them immensely. :-) There's just something about Virginia goober peas that can't be beat. I have really been enjoying the beautiful fall weather. Fall is my favorite time of year. There are dozens of reasons why. My favorite is the colors and the nippy but not cold weather. More news later, when I have something interesting to say!

12 comments:

Tammy Washburn said...

Yeah for the Knight in Shining Armor! Since I live on the side of a mountain (well, for you VA, Canada & Alaska people, it's a small hill; actually the official end of the Appalacians. But for this Tx gal, anything over 3 feet is a mountain!) We'll see small scorpions because of the rocks and an occasional Brown Recluse. Yuck!

Anonymous said...

have you ever been to Canada?

Tammy Washburn said...

I've only been to Toronto area, which is flat.

Anonymous said...

Where I live, the definition "flat" does not (and will never) apply.

Anonymous said...

Josh, you've GOT to be kidding me! There aren't even THAT many hills in your area! Granted, one goes through plenty to get there, being 3/4's of the US or Canada. We can actually walk only about a block or two away to go sledding (ok, it does occasionally happen!). If your house was near anything flatter, it'd pass for a dinner plate (pass the goobers, please)!

Anonymous said...

Alright, you had to blow my cover.
Yes it is I, The cold Albertan, Josh

Anonymous said...

but it isn't flat

Amy Anders said...

You are soooo funny. You really need to become a writer! Every time I read your posts I laugh. Love ya girl!

Sister Charity said...

Ha! Josh has stopped lurking and deigned to comment. One thing though, Josh the cold Albertan isn't good enough. Try Josh from the frozen wasteland of the north or The Human Icecube. And I have to agree with Anonymous, Your immediate vicinity is FLAT!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I've got to make a comment on this "flat" land where Joshua lives. Forgive my family Joshua. They can only see to the end of the driveway. If they would lift up their eyes unto the hills they would realize that much of Alberta is called the "foothills" of the Rockies. Although the spot your home is situated at seems flat you need only go a short distance to get a view that definitely shows the "rolling" effect of the land. Having lived in your neighborhood 2 different times in my life and having driven all over that beautiful part of northern Alberta, I agree with you that it is not flat.

Sister Charity said...

I never said that the rest of Alberta was flat. I only said, and I quote, "Your immediate vicinity is flat." And your IMMEDIATE VICINITY is flat. The land that you live on is flat.

Tammy Washburn said...

Guess What! I have tasted the famous APPLE BUTTER!!! Gooooooooood. I definately like it better than store bought. I got a couple of big jars and bought some little ones for Christmas presents.